Wednesday, January 31

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Hey there! It's the most wonderful time of the year.....

One thing I've noticed in watching celebrities is that the Grammy Awards is still one occasion where they can be awestruck. And yes, even celebrities still have "superfan" moments when they see someone they admire. In this day and age of all flash and tabloid glamour, it is refreshing to see famous people actully be endeared. The Grammys do that. While other award shows seem to just be a competition of who is the coolest kid on the block, the Grammys tend to be all about the music and respect for good artists. There is a certain swagger of the event that is just on another level. You can even see it in how the stars dress for the occasion.

There are a handful of people I genuinely can't wait to see in action. First off, for Record Of The Year, my hands-down favorite is Mary J. Blige. You can't deny she had an amazing year and if for some reason you haven't heard her cd, "The Breakthrough," you need to run out and do that asap. It is just a genuine, soulful, wise record that I never get tired of hearing. Mary marked her comeback and proved she not only still has it, she never really lost it.

Speaking of which, that leads me into my pick for Album Of The Year: FutureSex/LoveSounds by Justin Timberlake. None of us knew sexy left, but we sure took notice when JT appeared back on the scene with "SexyBack." I gotta confess, when I first heard the song I thought it wasn't that great. Much like a lot of people I know, fast forward 3 weeks and I couldn't hear it enough. The whole record is solid, and I like that Justin just things with his own flair. Oh and by the way...if you haven't seen him perform live, it will forever change the way you look at him. Justin has definitely grown up, grown into his own person and performer, and the boy can sing, dance, AND play instruments. He's the total package, and I can't wait to see him perform on the show.

As for the always interesting "Best New Artist" category...well, this is tough. I think Chris Brown is super talented but I also think Carrie Underwood is about as good as they come. I actually had to do a double-take when I saw her name in the list of nominees, thinking, "Carrie Underwood has been around too long to be the Best NEW Artist." But wow, hard to believe she just really got started this past year with her cd, "Some Hearts." (Which I LOVE and I'm not even really into country.) Yeah, I'm a big American Idol fan, and I loved Carrie all along. She is an example of just a really gifted singer. Check out her cd sales and you'll see she is undeniably one of the biggest artists out there with a huge fanbase. She had an unbelievable year, and you can bet she's not going anywhere. Consider Carrie to be the other Idol that took it to the next level of fame, like Kelly Clarkson did.

There are just so many awards to be given out, and the night is sure to be amazing. I'll admit I can't wait to see what the stars are wearing, good and bad. I can't wait to see the unbelievable performances (John Legend is so great!!) But the best part will be seeing artists get rewarded for the music. That's what it's all about, and that's why everyone here at XM is so passionate about the Grammys. We just love the music. See ya on the red carpet!

Michelle

Program Director and On-Air Host
20on20
20on20@xmradio.com

No comments: